Friday, December 25, 2009
Oh man do I have tons of pictures to post. So here goes with the memories and the photos to document. Thank you Emily for taking some GREAT pictures.
* Last night we had our traditional Seay Family Christmas Eve. When I was a kid this was my favorite part of Christmas. We would get together with our whole extended family, do skits (often very funny) and exchange gifts. Oh how I miss all of us getting together. I will say though this year with all of my immediate family together we enjoyed this Christmas Eve watching it through the eyes of my kids. We even had a little visit from "Santa" in our backyard. My dad dressed up in a Santa costume and went outside. When we pointed him out to the kids through the window they were beyond surprised. It was so cute! I have TONS of pictures of this event which I will post... in the future. We all enjoyed our traditional Christmas Eve dinner with the traditional "grand mom" scalloped potatoes, and salad with good seasons salad dressing. This year my mom spiced things up with adding in a Roast and yummy Maryland Crab cakes. Of course she also added her yummy homemade rolls (finger licking good). We also added a little Christmas program where we sang, acted out the nativity (Addy was so excited to play Mary this year) and read scriptures. I just loved every minuet of the night.
* Of course we had a great visit from Santa this year. Addy has been telling me for a month that all she wants for Christmas from Santa is a "Santa Snow Globe." I asked her the other day if there was anything else she wanted...she responded: "Mom, Santa only brings one present." It was so cute. After finding one at Target in UT I realized there was no way that I could bring it with us to DC so I figured that I could get one easily here in DC. This task turned out to be not that easy, but I did find one two days ago (paid way to much!). So Christmas morning we had two very excited little kiddies, eyes magically aglow, as they turned the corner to see what Santa had brought them. They were not disappointed! I loved seeing the magic of the morning all over their faces. Luke was content with the box his gifts came in. If only I had known that a piece of cardboard could be used as a skateboard. I would have saved myself some money.
* One of the sweetest moments of the Christmas holiday was visiting with Sandra. Sandra was my Nana's best friend. She and my Nana were kindred spirits. They met at the hairdressers years ago, started "gabbing" as my Nana would say, and that was it! Sandra's husband died a few years ago and has no children. We were her only visitors on Christmas day. She was so sweet. I know she is suffering from serious arthritis so to have us come by was a big deal for her. As we were leaving to go on our visit Addy said that she wanted to take one of her gifts and give it to Sandra (even though they had never met). She picked our a rainbow heart shaped stone my mom had given her. Of course Mimi didn't mind her giving the gift away. She wrapped it up in a little gift bag and we were off. When we got there and handed Sandra the gift she wrapped her arms around her tight and whispered in her ear, "because I love you." It was the most tender thing I had ever seen. Two generations embracing, never having met before, but so close, joined by a single heart. I will never forget the image in my mind. Sandra was so touched, and so was I. Addy today realized the true meaning of Christmas... GIVING LOVE. I couldn't be more proud to be her mother!
It was a blessed day!
Posted by Katharine at 6:19 PM
Monday, December 21, 2009
Friday, December 18, 2009
This post is a day late but I wanted to say Happy Birthday to my baby (big) boy Luke! Two years.... how fast they have flown. I can't believe it! Luke, you are the light of my life. Thank you for all of my hugs, loves, and laughs. Please keep me laughing. I love you, Love Mommy!
Posted by Katharine at 8:08 AM
Tuesday, December 08, 2009
Monday, December 07, 2009
Sunday, December 06, 2009
Today for lunch I was asking the kids what they wanted.
Addy shouted out: "Grill cheese sandwich."
I said: "Okay, Luke do you want a grilled cheese sandwich too?"
Addy quickly chimed in: "No mom he wants a boy cheese sandwich."
Girl Cheese Sandwich
Posted by Katharine at 8:18 PM
I know I shouldn't complain but why does it take you 3 agonizing hours to fall asleep at night? Am I doing something wrong? How can I help you better. You are an amazing sleeper once you finally fall asleep its just getting there that is the problem. I hold you, rock you, bounce you, feed you, shhhhhhhh you, rub your forehead. Some of them help for a short time but then you are back to crying again. Is it your poor little tummy? Are you over tired? Or are you just fighting sleep. Oh how I wish you could talk and tell me what I can do to make it better. One day. I want you to know that even though you cry I cherish the moments I have with you at night. Its some alone cuddle time with mommy that doesn't happen too much during the day. I love you with all my heart and only hope that the pain your feeling goes away soon. I wish, oh how I wish I could take it away for you.
All my love,
Posted by Katharine at 8:12 PM
Saturday, December 05, 2009
Wednesday, December 02, 2009
Tuesday, December 01, 2009
Days and weeks go by when I think... I really need to be writing this down. Time is just slipping away from me again. I did want to jot down some thoughts memories I have had though over the past few months.
He is talking up a storm. It is amazing how is language has exploded. He can say anything and everything you ask him to. He knows all of his letters by sight and can say all of their sounds. He can also count to 10. All of this has surprised me. As I think about though I really shouldn't be surprised by his brain power. I mean I am his mother... I taught him everything he knows, right?
He is also my natural comedian. The kid has me laughing all day long. He is now sleeping in a "big boy bed." When he wakes up from nighttime or naps he has the biggest smile on his face, and always runs to give me hugs and kisses. He loves to jump, run, kick, throw and catch balls. He is the joy of my life! I can't believe in just two short weeks my little baby boy is going to be two years old. I wish time could just stop for a moment so I could capture and soak up all that he is now.
Addy is my little pretender. I never knew how explosive a little child's imagination can be. Addy is always pretending she is a princess, fairy, cartoon character, anything really. She is a wonderful helper. She loves to cook, clean up (on her terms) and play. She is feisty when she wants to be. She is stubborn, in a good way (most of the time). I know this will serve her well when she is older. She loves her brother and sister. She is so tender and sweet. She is a great cuddler and loves to be close to mom and dad. Addy is wise beyond her years. She comes up with the most clever phrases. She is learning to read words and loves losing herself in stories.
Addy challenges me, she forces me to be creative and find my inner child. I love this about her. She gets excited when I pretend with her. Her dream in life is to get married in the Temple. Which, I think is pretty much the cutest thing I have ever heard. The best part is that she already knows who she is going to marry (the cutest little 6 year old I have ever met). She has good taste. Like her mother she goes for the older guys!
My sweet baby is growing up so fast I can hardly believe that she is now almost 10 weeks ago. It was just 10 short weeks ago that we first met. She is getting stronger every day. She is smiling, cooing and loves LOVES being around her brother and sister. She lights up when they come into her view. Claire loves being cuddled, rocked and snuggled. I think I am spoiling her but she is my baby and I believe you can't really spoil a baby. Claire is focusing on faces and I know now that she knows who her mommy is. I love this. I love when she sees me in the morning she gives me a big smile. Oh did I mention that my baby started sleeping 10 hours a night when she was only 6 weeks old. A great blessing! Both Addy and Luke had sleeping issues until they were 10 months old...oh lets face it they still have sleeping issues. I think Claire will be my best sleeper. She is like me, she needs her beauty rest.
More Pictures from when Emily visited...
*photo by E. Hayes Photography
James is the best dad ever. He has been so busy this semester. We miss him and cherish the time we do get to spend together as a family.
*Photo by E. Hayes Photography
*Photo by E. Hayes Photography
* Photo by E. Hayes Photography
* Photo by E. Hayes Photography
*Photo by E. Hayes Photography
Posted by Katharine at 9:21 PM
Today when I picked up Addy from preschool her teacher said to me.
Teacher:'" You guys need to move to England."
I of course didn't know how to respond to that remark.
Teacher: "I mean Addy is just way to proper to be from America."
She then proceeded to tell me what had happened during preschool.
Apparently Addy decided to go and sit on the stairs by herself. She closed her eyes and leaned her head against the wall. Her teacher asked her. Addy what are you doing? Addy responded like this.
"Miss Roper I am just having a quiet time. You can go ahead and teach the others your remarks."
Seriously. That's what she said. Addy has a way of taking that is WAY beyond her years. Its pretty funny to hear some of the things she says and the way she phrases things.
This morning James was holding Claire while I got ready. Addy went over to them and wanted to climb up on his lap too to see Claire. James said to her... "Addy be careful, baby Claire is very..." Addy finished his sentence... "fragile?" she said. James responded "Addy what does fragile mean?" Addy said. " Fragile means delicate and soft Dad!"
Of course it does!
Posted by Katharine at 12:17 PM
Thursday, November 26, 2009
Tuesday, November 24, 2009
Yesterday Addy gave up her binky. I think it is for real this time. She has not asked for it at all since she said I am done with it. Last night she gathered all her binky's and put them in a Fairy bucket and left them for the binky fairy to take. In the morning she found a special gift that she had wanted left from the binky fairy for her. She has worn it all day (a "magical golden heart locket") Now she is sleeping with it. At least it is with her. I don't think she is asleep quite yet. I am so proud of her. I am crossing my fingers it lasts!
Wish us luck....
Posted by Katharine at 6:50 PM
Monday, November 23, 2009
Saturday, November 21, 2009
Thursday, November 19, 2009
This is what I found after putting Luke down for his nap today. Addy love her sister so much and I know Claire loves her just the same.
I am so glad that Addy now has a sister. I think Luke is off the hook on all the princess stuff. I know these girls are going to be best of friends!
Posted by Katharine at 1:06 PM
Static head Addy. Gotta love the dry air in UT.
Yesterday we had some fun playing in the Ikea tent we bought a while back. Addy and Luke were the princess and prince and I was the snow queen fairy. It was a lot of fun...as you can see!
Claire of course slept through all of the fun.
Look at those lips. I love it!
Posted by Katharine at 12:55 PM
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Today I was on the phone with my brother Bobby and he was telling me that he was feeling sick. When I got off the phone I told Addy and Luke that Bobby was sick. I asked them:
Me: "What can we do for Bobby because he is feeling sick?"
Addy response: "We can pick him some flowers."
Me: "That is so sweet Addy"
"How about you Luke? What do you want to do for Bobby?"
Seriously that's what he said!
Poor Claire is still so sick. She has had the worst coughing spells at night. It is so sad watching her struggle to take a breath when her cough is so overwhelming. I just pray that this sickness leaves our house soon and never NEVER comes back!
Posted by Katharine at 2:51 PM